Today marks the launch of my brand new podcast, co-hosted with my kick-ass partner in crime, Lauren Fowler! Lauren is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and also co-authored an eBook with me earlier this year, Hips, Hunger, and the Pursuit of Healing.
WholeYou is a podcast all about the connection between the mind, body, and spirit.It's centered around the idea that you are already whole as you are, and you don't need to be 'fixed.' The pursuit of healing is simply a journey, so take it step by step where you are. Healing your relationship with food or your body image may start with the mind or body but definitely digs deep into your heart and deeper hungers.
Just stream or download via the embedded Soundcloud below, or search for WholeYou in iTunes or in you favorite podcast app. And if you like the show, please leave us a review on iTunes as it helps us reach more ears!
In episode #1 of the podcast, we talk about:
- Who we are, the purpose of this podcast, and what it was like to write our eBook
- Our views on the "pursuit of healing"
- Body image, mindset, and why you're not "broken"
- Beach & Bikini bodies (the hot topic of the summer) and what it means
- How to work on the two key aspects of body image
- Self-compassion vs self-esteem
- How to actually practice self compassion
We'd LOVE your input on the show, so if you take a listen, please leave a comment here or on social media about your thoughts, or any questions or ideas you have for future show topics. So far, you can get the recording on SoundCloud, and we should also be live on Stitcher and iTunes within a matter of days.
Music credit for our mini theme song is Little Idea from Bensound.com. Thanks, Ben!
- Our eBook, Hips, Hunger, & the Pursuit of Healing
- AfewbodypositiveInstagram accounts
- @MyNameisJessamyn and NolaTrees - body positive yoga Instagram accounts
- We Tried on Victoria's Secret Swimsuits & This is What Happened - "I think it’s unhealthy for girls to only have one image of what a “bikini body” is. Because a bikini body isn’t a model’s body, it’s YOUR body in a bikini."
- Self-Compassion: How to Use it to Make a Difference in your Life by Valerie
- Self-Compassion Exercises (and free meditations!) at Kristin Neff's site
- Brene Brown TEDx talk on shame - I just watched it again, and it's such a clear and real approach to understanding shame.
- Dreaming of the Perfect Beach Body? Here's What you Need to Know...
More from Valerie
- Waking Up in Wonder on Facebook
- Instagram: @ValKay (shout out to #wholeyou)!
- Get your free Meditation App Resource Guide and Mind + Body + Spirit Guided Meditation