Whether you already love the tarot, know nothing about it, or are "tarot curious" like I've been in recent years, you're gonna dig this interview with Krystal of Power Femme Tarot.
If you've been listening to the show, you know that I'm getting increasingly interested in the tarot as a tool for self reflection and accessing intuitive guidance. I've touched on the tarot with guests in previous episodes, but this is the first all-out-tarot episode, and I couldn't have picked a better guest for it.
In this episode, Krystal and I talk about:
- her "justice-centered" relationship with the tarot (the spiritual is the political)
- favorite decks and being a "deck slut" :D
- why she feels it's important to approach the tarot from a perspective of both intuition AND intellect
- why she prescribes to the power of intention rather than the law of attraction
- what she does for her daily draw
- how she does long-distance readings
- her unexpected journey from pantheism to polytheism
- our concerns about the traditional maiden-mother-crone conception of goddess, and how we can understand the goddess in a more liberated and inclusive way
- what's gender got to do (got to do) with it?
- why we're both obsessed with Buffy (and the badass podcast Buffering the Vampire Slayer)
- how and why she has made her own "little white book" for the deck
- a card that she draws for us as a collective reading!
To listen to this episode, you can stream or download from the embedded player below, or find and subscribe in your fave podcast listening app.
Thanks for listening, and if you dig, please share it with a friend and review the podcast on iTunes because it helps more people find it! xx
**ALSO! Krystal is generously offering WtFP listeners 10% off tarot readings through the end of 2018 using the code THEPOINT18, so definitely take advantage of her unique readings!
About Krystal / Power Femme Tarot
Krystal is a New Orleans-based queer femme witch, priestess of the Morrigan, crafter of sacred tools, and professional tarot reader and teacher. She holds a PhD in Gender Studies and, in her muggle life, is a college professor. Her academic nature has led her to study tarot rigorously and joyfully since the age of 15. Krystal's lifelong personal and professorial commitment to feminism, queer politics, and social justice also shapes her approach to tarot. For Krystal, tarot bridges intuition and intellect as well as the spiritual and the political. Krystal uses tarot to crack open space for empowerment, individual and collective healing, and social change.
Krystal is available to facilitate classes and read tarot at events in the New Orleans area. She is also presently developing an online tarot for social justice course called "Tarot in the Tower." Krystal is offering WTFP listeners 10% off tarot readings through the end of 2018, and she has so many unique spreads she has created — I will be doing my first reading with her soon and will be sure to report back! The discount code is in the episode, and be sure to check out the full show notes because this one is chock full of awesome resources.
If you enjoy this episode, please make my day by rating the podcast on iTunes and sharing it with a friend!
Mentioned on Today's Show:
- Follow Krystal on Instagram @powerfemmetarot
- Power Femme Tarot website including online shop - use THEPOINT18 discount code for 10% readings off through end of 2018 (also works in her Etsy store)
- Support PowerFemmeTarot on Patreon - lots of awesome content for patrons at any level, including full video on Krystal's Little White Book creation process which I mention in the episode
- The Order of Bards, Ovates & Driuds (OBOD)
- About Morrigan, Goddess of Sovereignty
- Blog post - "Why I Absolutely Loathe And Despise The 'Maiden-Mother-Crone' Model" at Tea Addicted Witch
- Jailbreaking the Goddess by Lasara Firefox Allen
- Modern Tarot by Michelle Tea - Dude! It was $1.99 for the Kindle version when I just looked it up so I totally got that. I'm normally a hard copy girl, but couldn't pass up that deal.
- WTF is Tarot and How Do I Do It? by Bakara Winter
- Slow Holler (deck sold out, reprint TBD)
- Smith-Waite Centennial Tarot Deck
- DruidCraft Tarot - about the deck and buy the deck
- Lindsay Mack's Tarot for the Wild Soul podcast - and course of the same name (enrollment for 2018 closes on September 4)
- Buffering the Vampire Slayer podcast and Patreon - the Patreon supporters Facebook community is amazing
- Angel on Top podcast - new sister pod to Buffering for the spin-off show Angel which is also great — and their Patreon