WholeYou is back with episode 4, and this time Lauren and I are talking all about yoga for mind-body-spirit wellness, and some of our biggest lessons and takeaways from yoga teacher training.
Between the holidays, moving into a new house, and lots of traveling for Lauren, it's been a while since our last episode — but it was worth the wait! I hope y'all enjoy listening to this as much as we enjoyed recording it.
Audio Note: You’ll notice that the audio has a little bit of distortion at parts — it’s not too bad, but you might wonder if there are little gremlins whispering on the recording. ;) We did our best once we realized the issue, and will work on fixing it before we record next time!
Thank you all for your comments and thoughts on our first few shows. We really appreciate you taking the time to listen and share your thoughts. If you like the show, subscribe on iTunes for to never miss a show, and please leave a review!
In this episode, we chat about our experiences from our yoga teacher trainings. Lauren completed hers in Costa Rica at the end of 2015, and I started mine here in Nashville in September and finish up this spring. Lauren did a couple of great posts on the top lessons she learned from her trainings (see links at the bottom of the show notes), so we broke those down as a framework for our discussion.
Here's what we cover in Episode 4:
- What “yoga” really means
- It’s about much more than just the physical asana practice — more about some of the original purposes of yoga
- The importance of finding your own personal practice and voice
- Body diversity in yoga (and taking the Instagram yoga world with a grain of salt)
- How moving slowly in your practice can benefit you
- Respecting boundaries as a yoga teacher
- Some key points about trauma-sensitive yoga
- How yoga can help you learn to trust your body even more
We'd LOVE to hear your thoughts, so if you take a listen, please leave a comment, or any questions or ideas you have for future shows.
Stream or download below from SoundCloud, head on over to iTunes, or search for WholeYou in your favorite podcast app!
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/244036821" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]
Show Notes & Quotes:
- Our eBook, Hips, Hunger, & the Pursuit of Healing
- A hilarious comedy youtube show - "Namaste Bitches" by Summer Chastant on the underground world of yoga, social media, and the superficial representations of "yoga"
- Awesome body positive yogis on Instagram - @mynameisjessamyn and @nolatrees - Check out their workshops across the country too!
- Online yoga practice - YogaGlo.com, OneOEight.Tv, Gaia
- Trauma Sensitive Yoga
- Janne Robinson
- “There is more wisdom in the body than your deepest philosophy.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
- "Love the Shit out of Yourself." - my favorite quote from YTT by Kaudri Kurgun, meditation and yoga teacher
- Lauren’s Posts on YTT Lessons Part 1 and Part #2
- Val’s blog post on the 5 levels of the mind in yoga (and how to chill out)
More from Valerie:
- Instagram: @ValKay
- Get in on the System Reboot 10-day Mini Course to get a reboot in your mind, body, and spirit wellness practices (psst, it’s free)
More from Lauren:
- Blog: LaurenFowler.co
- Connect over on Instagram: @LaurenFowlerRDN and tag #wholeyoushow
- Free Break Up with Diets email Challenge
*Music credit for our mini theme song is Little Idea from Bensound.com. Thanks, Ben!